Tuesday, August 28, 2012

 
Saturday's wedding was a gift. The weather was perfect, the seas were calm, and a slight breeze was blowing to keep things just cool enough. The Captain was not only able to marry the couple, but he is the future husband of this brides daughter. Funny how some things work out. As can be seen in the photo above, the flowers looked great, and the bridesmaids dresses matched the orange flowers. I know this sounds like a Bridal magazine run down, but these things all effect the photos that are taken during the wedding. Weddings present their own set of challenges, but shooting on a Schooner puts a few extra wrinkles in the equation.


Shooting a straight horizon is next to impossible on a moving boat. Thank goodness for PhotoShop Elements. I use the Free Rotate and crop to make it right. Lighting is also an issue on a moving boat. As the clouds move overhead, and the ship slips through the water, the light will change from moment to moment. Keep a close eye on your histogram and adjust your settings accordingly. I found that boosting my ISO to 400 or even 800, helped me in shooting with a faster shutter speed. It certainly helped that the bride and groom both wore white. 


Moving about on a Schooner is also an issue, especially when you are loaded down with at least two cameras. I use my 28-300mm zoom on my primary Canon 60D, which enables me to reach most areas of the boat without significant moving around. My Canon 30D is fitted with my 18-55mm wide angle lens. It may seem obvious to most, but you don't want to be changing lenses with the possibility of salt water spray in the air.


Then it was back to the Hilton Garden Inn in Auburn, Maine for the Reception, and another 3 hours of shooting. I usually figure that about 1/3 of the photos taken during a wedding will make the final cut for the DVD I provide the newlyweds. This wedding was no exception. I took about 668 photos during the ceremony and reception, and 225 have been uploaded to the wedding album on my web site. Anyone wishing to view the photos can go to www.jimwalkerphotography.com/event/weddings  (this with permission of the couple that was married).

Thanks for reading, and I hope you visit my blog again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment